Monday, June 19, 2006

Title Thieves? (I'm kidding, sort of)

OK, after Pirates of the Caribbean there were tons of pirate books, after March of the Penguins I saw all sorts of penguin picture books, but what's with all of the books about thieves? It seems like everywhere I look there's a book with Thief in the title: The Thief Lord, The Shadow Thieves, The Book Thief, The Lightening Thief, Storm Thief, Montmorency: Thief Liar Gentleman, Thieves Like Us, Abadazad: The Dream Thief, Peter and the Shadow Thieves. Why the sudden obsession with thieves? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these books have been published because some of them are great, I'm just not sure what prompted them. It seems like a pretty random coinsidence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that, too. By coincidence (I think) I read The Book Thief and Thieves Like Us back to back. Weird!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how that happens. Several years ago I read a succession of thief books in a row, although they weren't all published at the same time, so this feels like deja vu to me.